Friday, July 18, 2014

Geneva, Switzerland

WHAT'S HAPPENING!

I'm reporting live from Geneva, SWITZERLAND!! Who would've ever thought I'd be here? Not I! I like to tell my story a hundred times over because it amazes me how I got here!

So I've been thinking about leaving Riverside during the summer because I wanted to escape the heat, but I know my parents would despise it if I'm not doing school work. So I thought this was the perfect opportunity to STUDY ABROAD! I have dreamt of studying abroad in NEW ZEALAND- Pacific Islander studies. This has been my plan since high school! But when I started my research for study abroad programs at the Uni of Auckland, they did not have any specific classes that could pertain to my major. So I looked elsewhere. I thought, "I can always go to Auckland. I have a lot of family there!" So then on, I started my quest for another program and that's when I came across this program, The Politics of Global Inequality. This was back in October 2013 when I started thinking about this program. I started my application in January when it opened up and finished everything by mid-March. Thankfully, I was accepted!....couple months down the line, I came across a financial situation. As the days of my departure to Switzerland got closer, I had no sure answer from UCR Financial Aid office whether I was getting my funds in before my departure. Only a couple days before I was suppose to leave, and after countless efforts to expedite an absolute answer from UCR Financial Aid office, I had no money to purchase my ticket. I had a few friends talk me into fundraising, but I thought the idea was outrageous, and I had a lot of pride in me to ask other people for money. On a Wednesday night, I outlined a donation letter that my good friend, Dboy, wrote out for me. We launched in on Thursday in the afternoon- end goal $2,500. By Saturday night, I received $2,700. MY GOD IS SO GOOD! I remember I could feel the little fire in me just gasping for hope...like "don't give up Sina. 'Oua loto si'i". I had immense support from my loved ones. At the end of each fundraising day, I said a little prayer thanking God for His Grace. That whatever was going to be the outcome, it was in His will. I was content with that. By Sunday night, after purchasing my airfare ticket to Geneva (which was $2,300) I was up to $3,000. As I speak right now, friends and family are still donating. I don't know where I'll be without those who believe in this young girl! The moral of my story: I regained confidence and a humble reminder that this road to education does not only uplift myself, but all of those supporting me. I fasted the Wednesday before I launched my fundraiser asking God to bless those hands at the UCR Financial Aid office to release my funds. And I found it so fascinating that God chose for me to receive my funds in a much more meaningful way. This trip to Geneva wouldn't have meant this much to me if I did not take this route of coming here. I am truly humbled and blessed to have those who have supported and continue to support me in my educational endeavors. May God bless yall and keep yall! THANK YOU! MALO 'AUPITO! 'OFA ATU!

No comments:

Post a Comment