Saturday, October 10, 2009

Weekend reviewing...

September 20, 2009
I went to the PI Festival in Orange County the day before. Now it was Sunday and I had to go over some things on what I was doing.
I first went over the handouts 'Ono gave me at the festival. I looked over his survey and studied how he asked the questions and what he wanted to know from asking them. It was short! Only 30 questions and VERY straight forward. Can mines be this simple? (haha) It was good work though and very professional. There was a consent form that went with every survey. The consent form stated the purpose of the study, participants rights, procedures, risks, benefits, cost, and confidentiality of the survey. It is kind of like a contract.
What I found interesting was the handout on experiments that have been conducted before. I gained knowledge on why there is a IRB committee and what their purpose is.
The Tuskegee syphilis experiment or Public Health Service syphilis study was a study conducted between 1932 and 1972 in Tuskegee, Alabama, by the U.S. Public Health Service. Investigators had 399 African-American sharecroppers with syphilis for research of justifying treatment programs for blacks. This 40 year study led to changes is U.S. law and regulation on the protection of participants because researchers failed to treat patients after the validation of penicillin which was an effective cure for the disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment