Thursday, September 24, 2009

2nd day of REACH CONFERENCE

Now I was really focused! (haha) The sophisticated conversations that I tuned out on the day before were really coming to my attention now. (haha)

We started out the day with a "Sustainability Panel: What do we need to do to set the health agenda for 2010 and Beyond?". Panelists featured Gertrude Carter, Tyan Dominguez, Wayne Giles, Herbert Hatanaka, Sylvia Ivie and Lillian Lew.

They discussed what their plans were for building a better health care system. The floor was open for the audience to ask questions.

Well after a while, I had the guts to stand up and ask my own question in front of everyone. I introduced myself and asked "How do you think I can spread these health disparities or ideas with youth or people like me?"

I can see it in everyone's expression that they were surprised a youngin like me stood up, but I felt good to get involved with this conversation. Dr.Giles suggested that he would get the youth involved with a photo voice project where youth like myself can take pictures (with a disposable camera) of health disparities in the community. He said after the pictures were developed, the youth can take this to the city board to expose these issues. He said that if we do that, it shows what we think is going wrong and what they need to work on.

Lunch was great! I engaged in a conversation with Alisi and Genesis. It was interesting really being mixed in with these grown up conversations. (haha)

Afterwards, we broke out to sessions again where people presented in different rooms. I chose to listen to Genesis and Dorothy in their presentation of the Samoan National Nurses Association. They presented what they do to help the Samoan communities through personal navigation. It was fun because Dorothy added her own sense of humor to the presentation.

Second session came around and I went to Ruban and Michael's presentation on their program "We're Fed Up." It's a youth program on obesity. They stated that the youth totally runs the program. I was interested in this presentation because of how it really involves the youth and only operates from what the youth wants.

Today I was blessed with the best! (haha) I was actually networking! I spoke to Taunuu Ve'e-Remmers from the bay area. I really loved talking to her because she understood how it is for young Polynesian youth coming up. I told her I don't know what I'm going to do in college and she comforted me in saying she'll guide me through the steps of finding what I'm really passionate about. (SUPER EXCITING). I got the chance to talk to many people who openly welcomed me and offered me help with college applications and much more. Many opportunities opened up for me and now I see the benefits of going to conferences like this. =).

2 comments:

  1. Sina,

    Your blog re: the conference is great. I am so happy that you were able to attend and I was very happy to see that one of the youngest conference attendees asked the sustainability panel speakers as question! Great comment. It looks like you had several opportunities to network people from all over the state. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the conference.

    Khushbindar Lally

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAHHHHHH!!! LOL@UR COMMENT!! OH YEAH AND SUCKS I COULDN'T GO TO THE SECOND DAY *sadface*

    ReplyDelete