Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Meeting with Diana...

September 28, 2009

I had the chance to meet with Diana again. We were supposed to meet up with the GCN interns, but they couldn't make it. =(

So Diana ended up going over some more research designs that might help my survey. She wants me to learn a lot of the basics to research. That's good because I can get into more of the complex things if I get into really putting in a research project. (hmmm?)

Diana told me a lot about a cohort design research method. This design takes up a lot of time and money. That's because you choose a group of people you would follow for a period of time. In between, conductors will have to take measurements on their group to see how they develop overtime. This design requires enough staff to keep track of participants and their whereabouts. That's out of my league (haha) because I don't have the staff, money, and time to do it.

There was more discussion on surveys Diana has conducted in the past and I learned more about the different outcomes you can get from participants. The thing that you mainly have to depend on in surveys are the answers people give you. For example, you're depending on your participant to tell the truth on the survey because if they lie, what's the point of getting that data? The Hawthorne Effect also falls into this category where participants tell you what you want to know because they know that they're being studied. That's BAD! (haha) That's why researchers come into trying to study HOW to best conduct a survey. I didn't even know the way you asked a questions really mattered, I thought it mattered as long as you asked and the participant understood the point.

Well that's what Diana basically went over with me today. I got a good outline of different researching designs and how to conduct the best one fit more my research. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment